Share This Article
If you live in an enclosed apartment or house surrounded by a concrete jungle and feel frustrated by your position, you need a natural touch. Add some small plants to your house interior and witness the change. Indoor plants not only add to the aesthetic of your house but also has multiple health benefits. Extensive research by Nasa revealed that houseplants can remove 87 per cent of harmful toxins from the air in 24 hours.
Some scientifically-backed benefits of indoor plants are:
- It improves the quality of indoor air
- It may help in reducing your stress level
- Gardening or working with plants can be therapeutic
- It increases your concentration level
- It may help you recover faster from illness
- It may boost your productivity
Five plants you can grow at home are:
Aloe Vera is one of the most common houseplants. It is one of the few plants that can be grown almost anywhere in the world. It is a bunch of thick, sharp, pointed, and fleshy green leaves, which grow to about 12 to 19 inches in length. Aloe vera can either be consumed as juice or applied to the skin as a gel (from its leaves). Both forms of aloe vera have different benefits.
Along with the aesthetic appeal, it promises to give several health benefits:
- It contains healthy plant compounds.
- It has antibacterial and antioxidant properties.
- It speeds up wound recovery and sunburn.
- It reduces dental plaque.
- It helps treat canker sores.
- It reduces constipation
- It nourishes the skin and prevents wrinkles
- It can reduce the blood sugar levels
Indian Basil (Tulsi)
Indian Basil, also known as Holy Basil is a native Indian plant. It has significance in the Indian culture and is also part of the Indian medicine system, Ayurveda.
It is highly beneficial in treating c diseases like bronchitis, malaria, diarrhoea, nausea, eczema, stomach ulcers, eye diseases and skin bites. Each part of this plant, be it the seeds, leaves, flower or stem contains some nutritious value. It is rich in vitamin A and C, calcium, zinc and iron. It is considered a tonic for the body, mind and spirit.
There are multiple benefits of the Indian Basil:
- Stimulate and Vitalize your body
- Reduce Stress and Anxiety
- Lower your blood sugar level
- Lower your cholesterol level
- Ease inflammation and joint pain
- Beneficial for your stomach
Rosemary is a fragrant shrub local to the Mediterranean area. It has a warm, bitter taste and it gives a pleasant flavour and aroma to numerous food sources. Rosemary can be utilized in tea or as an essential oil or fluid concentrate.
Rosemary isn’t just known for its taste and smell; it is likewise eminent for the numerous health benefits. A decent source of iron, calcium and nutrients A, C, and B-6, Rosemary has been utilized for its medicinal purposes for quite a long time.
Some of the health benefits of Rosemary are:
- Rich source of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds.
- It is considered a cognitive stimulant that helps in improving memory performance, concentration, intelligence and boost alertness.
- Its aroma can improve mood, relieve stress and anxiety.
- Rosemary oil helps in hair growth, slows greying, prevent baldness and other scalp and hair benefits.
- It helps in digestion issues, intestinal gas, liver and gall bladder complaints and loss of appetite.
- It prevents bacterial infection.
Coriander/Cilantro works as a flavouring agent in various cuisines. The herb is viewed as a source of lipids and contains linalool, an essential oil. Besides, it has been utilized traditionally for anti-epileptic and anti-depressing impacts. Fresh coriander leaves contain around 6% carbohydrates, 3% protein, a little amount of iron and vitamin C, B2 and A.
Researchers have discovered that cilantro might give health benefits by decreasing the danger of coronary illness, diabetes, weight, and seizure severity. It also helps in raising energy levels and improve hair and skin quality.
Some beneficial properties are as follows:
- It may help reduce epileptic seizures due to its anticonvulsant properties.
- It has antioxidants properties.
- It can help prevent certain eye diseases and specific cancers.
- It can be highly effective in reducing stress and anxiety.
- It can be helpful in the management of diabetes.
- It has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties.