There are a lot of factors like pollution, improper diet, health, age, hormones, stress, trauma, etc., that can have an adverse effect on your hair. Whatever be the reason, no one can simply compromise when it comes to hair. Both men, as well as women, spend a lot on expensive shampoos, conditioners, and a lot of hair products only to get zero results. On the other hand, if we look at what nature has provided us with, we may be baffled by a wide variety of natural herbs that can be used to tackle all those hair problems without spending a fortune on products containing harsh chemicals. And the best part is that we actually get results. One such natural herb is Shikakai. So, let’s discuss certain scenarios that can lead to unhealthy hair and how shikakai can be useful in each case:
- You cannot expect a healthy health growth if your scalp is not healthy. Shikakai has antiseptic properties which can help in soothing an inflamed scalp. This will make your scalp healthier and maintain the pH level of your scalp.
- An excessive amount of dandruff can clog your follicles that can restrain hair growth. Also, dandruff can cause itching which can sometimes be very uncomfortable. The antifungal properties of shikakai make it a great weapon against dandruff. It helps to prevent clogging in the follicles, thus improving hair growth.
- Heavy pollution and dirt make your hair messy and to tackle this problem, you use expensive products full of chemicals. These products cleanse your hair but the chemicals present in them can wipe out the natural oils in your hair. Shikakai is a mild cleanser that can cleanse your hair without affecting the natural oils present in your hair.
- Detangling your hair can be very time-consuming as well as painful. What bothers the most is that you cannot do anything about it. But the truth is that this problem can be easily avoided by using shikakai. Shikakai helps in detangling your hair and also makes your hair soft & shiny.
- Your hair undergoes a natural process of graying but no one ever wants to lose the natural color of their hair. Still, there comes a time when you have to lay your hands on a packet/bottle of hair dye. Shikakai cannot totally stop your hair from becoming gray but it can delay the process of graying. On the other hand, if you are already applying hair dye, you can also use shikakai as it can help your hair to properly absorb the dye.
Now, when you know how many problems can be avoided and treated with the help of shikakai, the question arises ‘how to use it?’ So, without any delay let’s have a look at certain ways you can use shikakai:
There are various shampoos already available in the market, but what can be more pure and effective than the products you can prepare at home yourself. All you need is to keep ready 10g of shikakai pods, 10 g of reetha, 5g of amla, and 750 ml of water. The procedure to prepare a shikakai shampoo is:
- Put all the ingredients in water and leave it for a night.
- Next day, boil the mixture until the shikakai pods soften up completely.
- Wait until the mixture is cool and mash it.
- Strain the mixture and extract the liquid. Store it in a bottle.
- Use it instead of your regular shampoo. However, it should be noted that shikakai does not create lather as that of a regular shampoo. You might need to apply the shikakai twice on your hair till the lather is produced before completely rinsing it off.
Use this shampoo twice a week and make your scalp healthier. Shikakai shampoo also nourishes your scalp with vitamin D and C.
Shikakai Hair Mask:
When mixed with curd, shikakai can help soothe your scalp and reduce inflammation. If you are struggling with dandruff, this mask can be a saviour for your hair. The ingredients required to prepare the mask include 2 tbsp of shikakai powder, 2 tbsp of curd, and something to cover your hair (like a shower cap). The procedure is as:
- Mix shikakai powder and curd till you get a smooth and consistent thick paste.
- If you want to make the mask more effective, you can add a couple of drops of vitamin E oil.
- Apply the paste to your hair but make sure it reaches your hair from the roots to the tips.
- Once you completely apply the mask, cover your hair and wait for 20 minutes.
- Using cold water, rinse your hair with a mild shampoo.
Apply this hair mask twice a week and you will be happy with the results.
Shikakai Hair Oil:
Shikakai helps in unclogging the follicles which in turn results in a healthy hair growth. Massaging your hair with shikakai oil will regulate the blood flow and will nourish your scalp. Preparing a shikakai oil requires certain ingredients. You need 1 tbsp of shikakai powder and half a cup of either basil, coconut, or avocado oil. The procedure is as:
- Take a jar and put the shikakai powder along with any of the mentioned oils in it.
- Store the jar in a cool and dark place.
- The process will take almost 2 weeks but remember to shake the jar every now and then.
- After 2 weeks, the oil will be ready and you can apply it directly on your scalp.
- While massaging your scalp, rub the oil from the roots up till the tips and leave for 20 minutes.
- Using cold water, wash your hair with a shampoo. Apply the oil twice a week.
These were some of the common ways you can use shikakai as a home remedy for a variety of your hair related problems. Also, there are a lot of other ways you can use shikakai. For example, you can use shikakai and eggs as a scalp nourishing hair mask, you can use shikakai and honey to make your hair shiny, thick and strong, or you can prepare shikakai soaps at home. Each of these methods can be very beneficial for your hair. So, grab some shikakai from your nearest market, prepare these products at home and make your hair healthier.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.